Topband: To Balun or not to Balun that is the question.

To: "TOPBAND@contesting.com" <TOPBAND@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: To Balun or not to Balun that is the question.
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:28:43 -0400
After reading Tom's (W8JI) excellent work on baluns, which he prepared while the rest of us were enjoying SP 2003, I have his e mail and radiation distribution information in a 3 ring binder collection of some of the best of 160 tech data. (Most of the really great stuff is from this reflector.) Another item is that there is never really 100% agreement on anything and new discoveries on building better mouse traps come out almost weekly. I have come to the conclusion that it is better to radiate than to dissipate. This is based on the unrefutable presumption that "what works best, works."

My question is why use baluns on low bands at all, especially on antennas like low dipoles or inverted vees, when feedline radiation probably does more for you in the DX department. Isn't this all the so called Carolina Windom claim to fame amounts to, an amount of unbalance and radiation from the vertical down lead of an antenna that normally would be a sky warmer. (There may be some RFI issues that baluns may help avoid but you could also hang a dummy load at the end of the feed line like the infamous Matchcom balun which claimed to allow a single wire dipole to work from 2 to 30 with a VSWR below 2 to 1! (I understand the vendor of this item now sails his luxury yacht in the Caribbean. Apparently he sold enough of these to "balun crazy" amateurs who thought the world would be better by hanging something special the end of their coax.

Stew Perry, W1BB made a big point about feedline radiation about 50 years ago ( long before everyone felt compelled to terminate their coax with one of these ferrite rod things). He stressed the importance of when feeding a top band center fed zepp, of adding provisions of a knife switch to actually ground one of the open wire feed wires for better low angle radiation. (In the case of a shortened flat top connecting both wires together to form a marconi against ground was also an option that seemed to work well.) Some years ago an article was written, I believe in Ham Radio of adding a third wire in the open wire downlead and connecting a phasing device to actually control the TOA as required from the ham shack for even better DX results. (I have a copy somewhere and will dig it out if anyone is interested.).

I do not use baluns below 10 Mhz. On the higher band I only use the 6 turn coil recommended for feeding my 204BA and other yagis. On yagis a reasonably balanced feed is important for pattern symmetry. The reason to stay away from a standard voltage balun for me was to avoid a breakdown point in the system during contest operation. One mistake on the antenna selector switch during a contest was sometimes all it took to destroy standard voltage balun. (The scramble wound and solenoid type seem to have much greater immunity from such mistakes.)

There is however growing and persistent use of 4 to 1 baluns in almost every ATU on the market that offers a "balanced feed". If you use such a device you might want to have a clip lead available to compare using the ATU unbalanced output feeding the open wire on 160. I have tried several ATU's that use this approach and did not like the heat generate in the cores while running normal power. Thus I ended up using the T or L match capabilities and avoiding the voltage baluns that they come with. ( I did have a Johnson Viking KW Matchbox with the famous split stator breadslicers and no ferrite. In a moment of stupidity I sold it on e-Bay for $350. (It did not have 160 meters but probably was the best designed amateur commercial ATU for open wire feedlines ever.)

In summary: if you have any doubts about why you are using a balun on 160 meters, you may be further ahead by removing it and selling it at the next hamfest.

Regards,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ