Re: Topband: JA's and other firsts on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: JA's and other firsts on 160
From: Lee Ward <lee@crcltd.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:00:29 -0600
Greg, W7MY told the Chicago story, but I had a different twist.

While I was in High School in the early 60's I tried to work a little
DX on Topband from Chicago's South Side.

Using an AF-67 to a 40 meter folded dipole with the feedline tied
together and a piece of coil stock in series I had regular skeds at
1.9235 with a friend in San Luis Opispo, CA. He did not transmit back,
but heard me nite after nite and sent me recordings of my big 25
watt signal. That freq was a dip in the LORAN for him.

I also have a great recording of W6VSS on AM working some guys in
Chicago circa 1965. Dale was using a rhombic and one hellova AM rig that
sounded great. He had worked K9SBL and K9DDG, two of the big sigs on
160 from Chicago then. If anyone just has to hear that QSO, I could
put it in a wave and send it to you.

Now having a WAC certificate from The Low Band Monitor is an honor.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be....

Lee, K0LW, President for life, Kansas City DX Club

Ex: WA9CFU, WB0QZI, VK2GQV, DA2LW, V31LF
                           mailto:lee@crcltd.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by the mail server]