Re: Topband: Correlation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Correlation
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:50:01 -0500
At 12:30 PM 3/8/04, you wrote:
I have a question.  You data is interesting, but I'm curious whether you
accounted for increased participation due to higher bands not being very
good.  Your high participation could have been partly due to being
"the only game in town".  How does one factor this into the data?

Bob, there is probably no way to totally eliminate that factor, although it is unlikely that 160 is ever "the only game in town" since 40 and 80 are also good during low sunspot cycles. Perhaps a better measure than DX QSO's would have been countries and zones worked, but we did not check that. Take my word for it, conditions on 160 during cycle lows are MUCH better than during cycle highs. Signal strengths are several S-units stronger. For example, I heard KL7J 589 yesterday...stronger than I've heard him in several years, but it will get even better as we go into the 2006/2007 minimum.

73, Bill W4ZV