Re: Topband: 160m at solar max

To: k9la@arrl.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m at solar max
From: Bob Eldridge <r.c.eldridge@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:44:22 -0800
Hi Carl:

At 18:00 2004-03-09 -0500, you wrote:
My point was simply that based on W8JI's log data there's a lot of DX to be worked on 160m around solar maximum, and it appears to be dependent on how high in latitude your paths go. I think the concept of 160m only being 'good' at solar minimum has been ingrained in us for many years, and it has become somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Absolutely. I just took a quick look at summer 1990 and summer 1991 for the path from here (lat 50°) to VK.
In May thru August 1990 I had 474 QSO with VK/ZL when the solar flux was from abt 120 to 320.
In May thru August 1991, 488 QSO with VK/ZL when the solar flux was from abt 155 to abt 290

Many of the openings lasted more than an hour, some two hours. Most were on SSB, most of the stations down under being available only in that mode. As long as I am content with the Pacific, I can play not only out of cycle, but also out of "season".
73
Bob VE7BS