Re: Topband: FEEDING AN END-FED LONGWIRE

To: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Subject: Re: Topband: FEEDING AN END-FED LONGWIRE
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:13:08 -0400
Just suggestions: Would it not be simple and much more reasonable to just move down the feeder wire a bit and off center feed the long wire. You will find a spot that is more reasonable to feed either with a single wire, open wire, or even coax with a 4 to 1 balun, such as in the classic "Windom" antenna. I some cases it will work on even multiples and also radiate well without a tuner. I think models of the off center fed zepp, as it used to be called, support a good result prediction.

I do believe, however, that if you choose a single wire feeder that the impedance will be higher and there will be some radiation from the wire. This may be to your advantage if the antenna height above ground is low and otherwise on 160 the radiation would be mostly skyward rather than on the horizon where you need it for DX.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Sinisa Hristov wrote:

Brian Mattson wrote:

Bottom line is that the end of my longwire looks like about 4,000 ohms
impedance at resonance. I simply use an UN-UN to step this down. A 9:1
winding ratio gives an 81:1 impedance ratio, so I get a 1:1 SWR at resonance

The ratio of 81:1 would be quite an accomplishment.
Did you perform any impedance measurements?

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN