Re: Topband: two wires Beverage

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>,"'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: two wires Beverage
From: "Jacques RAMBAUD" <f6bki@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:29:02 -0000
You are right  Tom,
I measured the losses of the 150 Ohms twisted military telephone line:
I made two transformers 50 to 150 ohms  tested them in serie , had about 0.4
dB losses from 1 to 30 MHz, then I introduced the twisted line, input match
was better than 25 dB, taking into account the losses of the test fixture,
for a length of 30 meters ( 100ft) I had the following losses ( measured
with a calibrated HP network analyser):
1.2 dB at 1.8 MHz, 2.25 dB at 3.8 Mhz, 3.64 dB at 7 MHz, 4.5 dB at 10 MHz.
So for a beverage of one lambda at 1.8 MHz it would be about 6 dB !! for
short beverages it is still an acceptable trade off but not for longer ones.
Can somebody tell me what are the typical losses of the called 450 ohms
ladder line sold for example at the Wireman ??
what about a two wires home made line ?
Thanks
Jacques F6BKI