Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"

To: K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"
From: Robert Marshall-Read <rmread@starhub.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:28:25 +0800 (SGT)
Snip....

> Bill's got it right I think.
>
> 1) I do have to hear my call
> 2) I do have to hear the report
> 3) I like to know the other fellow got it right too
>
> But, the use of technology to help make that happen is not
> inappropriate in
> my opinion.
.....................End

What Jeff and I were doing was not for the 'first' between our stations or even
for a new country on Top Band.  What we were trying to do was to find out where
and when the window opened up.  We were pushing the envelope so to speak. VY2ZM
was not my first VE nor my last from 9V1.

Whilst at 9V1GO it was a pleasure to know if the signal was making it to the
USA or to Europe by means of the ON4KST site. If it wasn't, I could save time
and effort calling CQ on a dead band.  It helped me find clear QRG's to call
CQ, it helped to find the area the spotlight was falling on, it also helped to
know if anyone was calling under the S9 QRN and static crashes so the 'between
the ears' DSP could be switched a setting higher at my end.  It made new
countries that bit easier for the many calling stations that were calling in a
window the chat site helped to find.  It also gave an indiation when to move
modes from CW to SSB or even RTTY as the path improved some mornings.

I can not remember a single case when the internet made a difference making a
QSO that wouldn't have happened anyway.  It just saved time finding a frequency
that was clear on a pre-sunrise session.

My 2 pence worth.  BW, Jeff is to send the card and I will frame it as I never
thought SSB from VY to 9V would ever happen.

73

Bob YB5AQB/9V1GO