Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"
From: "George Balint" <qrp.ben@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:07:57 -0500
> --- Bill Tippett wrote:
>
> > decode a weak signal with my own ears (not eyes),
> > it's not a
> > genuine "QSOin my book.
>
> --- Larry Molitor wrote:
>
> >I've been watching this thread for a while and mostly
> >agree with what everyone has been saying. What is
> >important to remember is that this is a HOBBY! We do
> >it  for enjoyment, relaxation, and personal
> >satisfaction. Nobody pays us to "do it right".

 That's right, this is a hobby, but it has been for many years in the
 forefront of the technological innovations, so at the end something useful
 could come out of it. Most of us were attracted to the hobby not because of
 the need to collect QSL cards and Awards, rather to deal with the
challanges
 the limitless possibilities of the technology is offering. Otherwise we
 would still be using sparc transmitters and crystal detector receivers in
 sake of purity. Everyone is using some kind of technological aiding to make
 QSOs happen.
 In the contests and DX pileups there is no level playing field, nor will
be,
 regardless of how we make "rules" . Everybody has his own geographical
 situation, different propagation, QRM, city noise, soil conductivity.
 One don't have to be a DSP professional to know, that once information is
in
 digital format, a computing device can easily convert it to many other
 format including visual and/or audio. Such devices are common and
widespread
 in today's radios like TenTecs, IC775, FT1000MP, IC756, K2 and more.
 So it really makes no difference if I see the weak signal or hear it, when
 it was already digitized, it can be converted back to audio or video or
 both.
 Are we, who are using a DSP rig to make a QSO all "cheating" ?
 A CW qso is a CW qso, as long as the transmitter's signal is modulated what
 we call A1. I agree with Larry, nobody has the authority to tell what is
the
 "right" way to enjoy our hobby.

 I am enjoying to follow reading this thread.

 73 & DX
 George, VE3NZ