Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"

To: jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology "QSO's"
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:58:25 -0800 (PST)
--- jon jones <n0jk@hotmail.com> wrote:
Same in many respects for the Top Band. It
> took Stew Perry years of
> hard work and persistence to earn his 160 Meter
> DXCC.

I suspect that if Stew were on the band today, he
could work DXCC in a couple of good weekends. I also
suspect he wouldn't much like what he would hear on
the band these days.

> George and Larry W7IUV have a point.  But many of us
> operate 160M (and VHF)
> because of the challenge. If the bar to achieving
> awards is lowered too far,
> the DX becomes too easy to work, then for me -
> perhaps time to find another
> hobby.

Lets see, it took me about 15 years to work 100 on 160
from AZ in the 70's and early 80's. Since it's a lot
easier to do from the east coast, in order to prevent
"lowering the bar", all contacts made from east of the
Rockies should not count for DXCC.

My 160/HF station uses no DSP, therefor contacts made
with radios like the Orion or 756PRO should be
discredited to prevent lowering the bar.

I log with paper and pencil, computer logging is
cheating by lowering the bar.

I am limited to a single vertical. Anyone using more
elements must be disqualified in order to level the
field.

I am continually amazed that someone would be afraid
they would lose something if somebody else were to
"get an edge". Of course it's OK if they can get ahead
that way themselves! What's wrong with this picture?
Is this what Stu would like? I don't know. I do know I
don't like it. Run what you brung, winner takes home
the pink slips!

I suppose if conditions were any good we would all be
too busy to have this discussion! We need another
"Harvest Moon"!!

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA