Topband: 160 and other Contest Log verification

To: Topband@Contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 and other Contest Log verification
From: "Hugh Valentine" <hsvdds@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:28:41 GMT
I am reading much comment of log verifications to validate "significant?"
Contests.
I am in favor of increasing the integrity of these contests....evenhough I have
been semi-QRT for several years.  A lot of amateurs invest quite a bit of time
and money and even put marital relationships at risk to participate.  Like Ron
White says..." I know, I did it."
I have A Question proposed as a suggestion........Wouldn't it make the contest
in question more meaningful if the exchange RST/RS (which is 99% insignificant,
superflous, and also false, i.e. automated 599/59) were changed to a serial
number or significant number which would require synchronization to validate a
QSO?????  As we all know, the signal report, in 99% of the contacts, is a
farce, and the spirit of the meaning of the report is abused by programming 599
into a keyer.
Either way, can anyone give me a valid reason not to drop the Signal Report
Exchange from this contest?  And wouldn't the substitution of a serial number
vastly increase the integrity.  With everyone sending 599, even if a station is
in your log....a person has access to the CALLSIGN and ZONE even without a
copy.  All it takes sometimes is a guess who the call is(youcan see it on the
cluster spots) and the right timing and one letter of your callsign allows log
entry.  A serial number would serve to make the contact legitimate and
individual and unique......more unique than RS/RST.  Yes, it would slow down
the rates. Yes, it validates, really validates the contact.  Yes, guessers and
cheaters would hate it.  It would invalidate them.
Sounds like the Russian hams who wrote this report have presented a good
question and plea.
Looks like there may be a need for a change.
Miss everyone.
73, Val
N4RJ