Re: Topband: 160 and other Contest Log verification

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 and other Contest Log verification
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:15:31 EST
In a message dated 1/23/2006 11:00:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hsvdds@juno.com writes:

>>>........Wouldn't it make the contest in question more meaningful if the
exchange RST/RS (which is 99% insignificant, superflous, and also false, i.e.
automated 599/59) were changed to a serial number or significant number which
would require synchronization to validate a QSO?????  As we all know, the
signal
report, in 99% of the contacts, is a farce, and the spirit of the meaning of
the report is abused by programming 599 into a keyer.<<<

I think it very valid and timely suggestion to dispense with report in
contest exchange. It has lost its meaning and it is redundant. I have been
defender
of keeping the report that it is usefull for traditional and award QSO
requirement (and kind of forewarning what is coming next in exchange), but it
lost
its value for contesting. We either get the stuff and complete the QSO and who
can watch the S-meter for "accurate" reporting.

The serial number, nowadays has much more significance, especially when some
clever operating "things" are used (like not logging the "zeroes" etc.) I
support the idea of SNs in the contest exchange, it is becoming more and more
valuable and it should be implemented ASAP. Rules should say to use three digit
serials STARTING with 001.

Val makes very good point and especially in the 160m contests, it would be of
great benefit.

73 and CU as N2EE in CQ 160 CW!

Yuri, K3BU.us