Re: Topband: 160 and other Contest Log verification

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 and other Contest Log verification
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:26:47 -0800
> I'm leary of using serial numbers because someone could deduce the
> received number by  from the previous or following QSO.  Sending
> meaningful exchanges will improve the operator's ability to
> communicate.

I think the "feature" of being able to tell what your exchange would
be based upon the previous QSO applies to all contests - and the
subsequent QSO in most contests.  That is - unless you are using some
kind of random information that is generated by your computer.

The Internet Sprints had you sending the name you received in the
previous QSO - so at least the information changed.

But the point I wanted to make was - the CQ 160 at one time did indeed
have serial numbers as the exchange.  I am not sure exactly when or why
it was changed, but it did (probably sometime in the 1980's).

It would be interesting to know what the thinking was behind that change
before recommending it be changed back.

Anyone out there know?

Worked IK4WMA early last night, and then had some family stuff to do.
Band sounded worse later on when I got back up to the radio room.  There
was an RL3 on that didn't hear me.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net