Re: Topband: Short, Fat Vertical

To: PaulKB8N@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Short, Fat Vertical
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:10:16 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2006 2:32:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
PaulKB8N@aol.com writes:

I'm  pretty much restricted to a maximum height of 40' for any antenna I
install on my covenant-restricted lot.  I have thought about an  inverted L,
but I
also wonder if I can achieve a greater effective  height by using  a fatter
radiating element, primarily using wires  that are spread apart.

W2PM Reply:  In Bill Orr's last antenna book (HF Antenna Handbook) he
features a "short fat monopole" attributed to Doug Demaw - W1FB which uses two
parallel wires separated by 1 ft with PVC pipes. That is to simulate a "fat"
conductor. This antenna is, of course, top loaded with a series inductor and
capacitance hat - altho it appears to me the physical design of that "hat" is
rather poor offering fairly low capacitance.  A simple T wire per most of  the
literature would be better I'd think.