Re: Topband: Need Some Help with an HF 2V

To: "Larry - K2GN" <k2gn@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need Some Help with an HF 2V
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:27:22 -0500
K2GN wrote:

> Tom: Thats' the 80 coil
> The 40 has 10

Sorry, definately not on my HF2V!  Are you sure you are talking about the
same antenna?  Perhaps the HF6V or HF9V or one with a 30m mod are different?

I counted again.  Indeed there are 17 turns on the 80m coil, and that's
probably the one I counted yesterday.  But, on my recount I found there were
15 turns on the 40m coil.  I counted, then counted again!

I took a picture and labelled the turns with red arrows and text:
http://www.klient.com/hf2v.jpg

Note that the 40m coil is a bit more stretched than you'd probably find in
actual operation.  I did that to make the turns easier to count in the
picture.

I purchased this one new in 2003.  The changed the capacitors, as with the
factory ones the resonant frequency drifted on 80m running 1500w.  I spoke
with Bob at Butternut and he suggested that NPO doorknobs (with a higher
heat tolerance) would be more stable.  That did the trick.

So, you might notice that caps aren't factory.  But, the coils are
unchanged.

73,
Tom, NI1N