Re: Topband: What do you use as a "Run" antenna?

To: "Victor Kean" <vkean@ds.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What do you use as a "Run" antenna?
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:51:26 -0500
 > ...what others use as their first choice for listening when "running" before
 > switching to a better RX antenna?

***********************

My station & my operating habits are HARDLY "...de rigueur" when it comes to
contests...!

However, my mainstay transmitting AND receiving antenna is a 135-degree /
3-element phased inverted "L" array, in a triangular configuration (1/4-wave
spacing between "L"s). I can manually switch it to favour any one of 6
different positions, by way of a pair of HD ceramic rotary switches beside the
operating position.

I've incorporated a SEVENTH switch position, which bypasses all of my phasing /
delay lines: this essentially gives me the option of feeding all  the three
elements "in parallel" (or "in phase". I s'pose), with no directional effects.
In general "CQ Test" calls for domestic contests I'll leave the switching
network in this "bypass" position, until such time as I might strike gold with
a "run" of callers from a certain specific direction...only then will I select
the switch direction that best favours stations from that geographic area.

If conditions warrant it, I also have at my disposal a pair of K9AY loops
mounted perpendicular to each other, & switchable in four different directions
(VERY effective during a recent opening to "JA"), or an unterminated N/S 1300'
Beverage (very FB for copying S.A., albeit with more atmospheric noise than
that from the K9AY loop favouring that part of the world).

The old adage of, "...THE MORE ANTENNAS AT YOU DISPOSAL ON 160, THE BETTER," is
no bunk!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ