Re: Topband: What do you use as a "Run" antenna?

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What do you use as a "Run" antenna?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:12:14 -0700

Jim Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:00:02 -0500, Michael, Dana A wrote:
>

> One of the common failures of east coast stations during contests
> is that they miss a lot of Q's because they never seem to be
> listening west, especially early in the evening. It is VERY common
> for VE3, W8, W9, and some W3/W4's to have solid signals here in
> Santa Cruz an hour or more before my sunset, and to remain Q5 for
> much of an evening. And it is common for W6/W7 stations, me
> included, to be calling them without success.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC
> Santa Cruz, CA

I think if you check back a few weeks you'll find a pretty good
explanation from Tom, W8JI, on why that happens.  A quick summary is
that, in the hour or so just before sunset, your signals headed eastward
are attenuated much more than the signals coming from the east.  It
isn't that they aren't listening, they really can't hear you ... or
actually us, since I experience the same thing from here in Arizona.

73,
Dave  AB7E