Re: Topband: 160M vertical and snow

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M vertical and snow
From: JAMESAMS88@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:23:18 EDT

In a message dated 3/27/2007 2:54:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
royanjoy@ncn.net writes:

I wonder  if I should elevate the vertical of about 30 inches or if this
snow will  not affect the vertical...
Anybody experienced this fact before..  I  mean snow at the base of the
vertical....

I have a home brew 65 foot vertical sitting on a telephone  insulator at
ground level. I use this antenna on 3 bands 40 thu 160. Top band is  a base
loaded
coil. All three bands can be switched remotely by relays.  I  often get
snowfall that covers up the insulator and up to 10 inches or more of  the
tower.  I
notice very little if any change in SWR on any of the three  bands.  When it
does warm up and the snow starts to melt I do shovel the  snow away from the
insulator.  The only problem I have had with snow is  when my loading coil
which I found out was too small.  It warmed up enough  to melt the blowing snow
and formed a ball of ice around the coil which disabled  top band.  The coil
was
in a plastic container but the snow still got  in and I was only running 100
watts.   I remade my coil out of  copper tubing and never had any more
problems even with a 500 watt  amp.   Jim W0NFL of Iowa.