Re: Topband: 160M vertical and snow

To: <JAMESAMS88@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M vertical and snow
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:11:27 -0400
 royanjoy@ncn.net writes:

> I wonder  if I should elevate the vertical of about 30 inches or if this
> snow will  not affect the vertical...

That is what is done in broadcast AM vertical installations that are series
fed.  The tower insulator normally sits on a concrete pier as much as 3 feet
above ground.  Four inch copper straps are brought up the sides of the 4
sided pier and connect to the metal flange containing the base insulator.
Many AM stations have chosen antenna locations in low lying bogs, meadows
and flood plains.  In addition to the pier pin tower base construction, the
additional height is part of the design to insure better control and
stability. I remember where I used to gingerly  walk out to the ATU dog
house to read the base currents on semi floating planks during the spring
floods.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ