Re: Topband: frustration

To: "'TopBand'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: frustration
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@k8nd.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:10:06 -0500

I have become convinced that one must be brain-damaged
to sit sorting signals-from-static on Topband in the
Caribbean for extended periods. It's painful and
frustrating most of the time, with the occassional
satisfying interval.

I now have nine contest trips to PJ2T under my belt,
and I spend much of my non-contest operating time
there on 160.

On Curacao, on the transmit inv-L I typically have S9
noise with frequent crashes to +30 dB. On a really good
night, the noise is S7-S8, with crashes to only +20 dB.
The receive antennas (Beverages, flags, and now a DX
Engineering RX 4-square) help enormously, but during
the 2006 ARRL 160 Contest, I estimated that 40% of my
1185 QSOs were painstakingly pulled from the noise,
letter-by-letter.

I can't wait to get back down there in a few weeks!

73,  Jeff K8ND