[TowerTalk] Green Power Lightbulb QRN

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Green Power Lightbulb QRN
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:54:59 -0700
If you've been considering replacement of your current traditional light
bulbs in the house with the new whiz bang "Green Power" curly jobs before
your next favorite contest, DON'T DO IT (at least without some
testing-testing-testing).

The 40 watt bulb in the lamp near my rig bit the dust a few minutes ago
while I was listening on 160m.  Interestingly, the band noise tonight was
minimal here.

I went to the cupboard and decided to finally open the packaged for a new
"curly-widget" GE soft white 40 watt bulb that claims to only use the energy
of a 10 watter.  But wait.there's more. the package says it's a "5 Year Bulb
- Long Life * 8000 Hours (lightning bolt) Energy Saver."  With info like
that, it's gotta be good, right?

IMHO, somebody QLF'd in production and forgot to add "QRN MAKER" to the
package!!!

The RX was on in the background, and when I screwed in the new bulb and
turned it on, WHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. a BIG QRN level appeared that sounded
kinda like power line noise.

I turned off the lamp and the noise disappeared.  Hmmm.  Coincidence?  Nope.
5 more on/off tests and each time BIG QRN.  I checked other bands.  It was
worse on 60m, and 15m was a disaster.  Interestingly, several times when I
left the new bulb on for a while, the QRN disappeared.  But not always.
Hmmm.

Maybe this is a single "Lemon-bulb" incident, maybe not.  The package says
"Made In China" and it has GE's name on it, so it's gotta be a good, right?

Has anyone else experienced similar QRN problems with the new "Green Power"
curly bulbs?

FYI & 73.

Rick, K6VVA