Topband: How to get started on 160?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: How to get started on 160?
From: Xnke <xjakobx@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 01:28:45 -0500
Hi all, my name is Jacob, and I'm looking to get started on 160M AM.
Mainly because I'm a homebrew kinda guy, and 1.8Mhz is an easy band to
build for, as far as stability of VFO's go.

I have a dual 6SN7 regen, and am working on a transmitter involving a
pair of 6BQ6 modulating another pair of 6DQ6. Why can't I hear anyone
except broadcasters? It doesn't really matter what band, I listen to
160, 80, 40, and the included shortwave stations, but I can't ever
hear any amateurs. I hear broadcasts from China, Japan, Russia and the
Carribean, occasionally Africa, but never hear any operators.

Is this how ham radio is, or am I just doing something wrong? I have a
proven radio design, a 228ft horizontal longwire 25ft off the ground,
a good earth ground, and a fair ear (musician). I see the topband
reports all the time with people communicating from Australia to the
US, heck I can't even hear someone IN the US and i live in the middle
of Kentucky!

Can anyone here drop me any hints or tips?

Thanks,

Jake, KI4YAN