Re: Topband: How to get started on 160?

To: Xnke <xjakobx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How to get started on 160?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:52:01 -0700
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:28:45AM -0500, Xnke wrote:

Hi Jake.

I am sure you will gets lots of feedback from you post.

I will offer some reasons, that I think together add up to the result you
have been seeing:

1. 160 is pretty inactive during the summer months.  Aside from a few
local SSB stations and some very limited CW signals, there just isn't
going to be much on the band.

2. There are a very limited number of AM stations on 160 to start with.
While building VFOs for that band is easier than higher frequency bands,
putting an effective antenna up it much more of a challenge.

3. AM is a tough mode on 160 - due to the wide bandwidth of the signal
and noise.  The reports you have seen me make about working VK are all
on CW - and using directional receive antennas.

4. The stations you mention that you can hear are transmitting 24/7, so
they are always there, have many KWs and very effective antennas in most
cases.

If I remember right - a pair of 6DQ6s will perhaps product about 50
watts of AM?  You didn't list what your antenna was - but unless it
is something pretty effective - that 50 watts spread across 6 kHz of
bandwidth will quickly disappear into the summer QRN on the band.

Your best bet is to wait a few months until the activity on AM picks
up some - and conditions are quieter.  I can typically hear one or
two AM roundtables up around 1920 kHz most evenings during the winter.

In the mean time - you will probably have to resort to operating on
CW - near the bottom of the band and see if one of the "beacons" on
the band can hear you.  I'd be happy to give you a report any time you
hear me.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net

PS: No Europe last night - but I think W7LR got some.  Worked VK6ABL, VK3ZL
and JH4PQQ this morning before sunrise.