Re: Topband: How to get started on 160?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How to get started on 160?
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:44:48 -0500
KI4YAN wrote: Hi all, my name is Jacob, and I'm looking to get started
on 160M AM.  .....
....I have a dual 6SN7 regen, and am working on a transmitter involving
a pair of 6BQ6 modulating another pair of 6DQ6. Why can't I hear anyone
except broadcasters?..........
-----------------
Jacob

If you are listening for hams on AM only, there aren't many using that
mode, however you should be able to hear lots of SSB stations on 75
meters.  There are also a few AM stations there but not all the time.
40 meters is a terrible band for AM and SSB due to all the foreign
broadcast stations.  There are some SSB stations there but they are
squeezed in between the broadcast stations, and you need a narrow
bandwidth on receive to separate them.  The best time for 40 SSB will be
in the afternoon before sunset.  After that time the broadcast stations
will come rolling in.  There are a lot more CW stations on 40, and you
should be able to hear those.

During the summer, activity on 160 is at a low due to the high level of
QRN.  There will be much more activity starting up now that winter is
approaching.  Even then there are only a few stations on AM.  You should
be able to work the close ones, but low power and a low antenna won't
net you any big signal reports. You should also be able to hear lots of
SSB and CW stations on 160.  When the QRN becomes low on 160 this
winter, and if you listen at the right time, occasionally you may hear a
DX station on CW.  It will be rare that you will ever hear one on SSB,
and virtually non-existent that you will hear a DX station on AM.  You
might be able to work a few of the very strong DX stations on CW but it
will be a struggle.  Your antenna is a very high angle radiator on 160
and most of the DX stations will be coming in low angles.  The fact that
it is only 25 feet high also contributes a lot of ground loss, so it
will be very poor for DX but OK for close stations.

Yes, you hear reports of guys working lots of DX on 160, even now, but
take a look at what those guys are using for equipment and antennas.
They are also operating primarily CW.  I'm not trying to discourage
you.  160 is a difficult band for all of us.  Most people like the
challenge of it.

Jerry, K4SAV