Re: Topband: Vee Beams

To: cx6vm.jorge@adinet.com.uy,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vee Beams
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:14:24 -0500
  "Jorge Diez - CX6VM" wrote:
> something with experience in Vee Beams?

Jorge,

I had a Vee beam in Arizona for many years. It is a great
antenna. Mine was 120 meters long (each leg) and 20 meters
up on a 20 degree mountain slope, about 100 meters above
the valley. It worked well on 80 to 10 meters. On 160m I
tied the two ladder-line wires together and made it work
as a vertical with a very large top loading wire. It was a
good 160m antenna, but not as a Vee Beam.

To make a Vee beam work well on 160, it needs to be not
only two wave-lenths long -- i.e. 320 meter long arms --
 but also be at least 40 meters up. That is a very large
antenna! It also must be fed via a ladder line and a
balanced tuner. If you can do all that, you will have a
great antenna. Oh, and I almost forgot: if you want to
cover more than two directions, you need to have at least
5 wires; or what is called a "star beam".

GL,

George
AA7JV