Re: Topband: Vee Beams

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vee Beams
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:46:57 -0800
At 10:50 AM 2008-12-11, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
>something with experience in Vee Beams?
>
>I friend told me about this antenna and I did a search in internet and seems
>that with 2 or more wavelenghts you have a considerable gain.!
>
>How about for example a 2 wavelenghts for 160 mts Vee Beam?  Someone tried
>it?
>
>Will have for example more gain than a 2 elements delta loop?
>
>Maybe someone can modelate this antenna to know the advantages of
>disadvantages, I tried with Eznec but not for me, hi hi...

Take a look at http://www.antenna.it/military/vr%2023-f.htm

This is a military version of a sloping terminated vee.  Although it
is rated for 2-30 MHz, it won't have much gain on 160m.
If you double the size, it will be very close to the dimensions that
you have in mind.  Then you can take their gains and patterns as if
they were at 1/2 the indicated frequency to get an idea of how it performs.

I didn't see any specification of the terminating resistors, but 450
ohms seems like a good choice.
If you're interested, I have EZNEC models of this antenna and a
double size version.

(A 2-element delta loop should easily outperform this on 160m.)

73, Terry N6RY