Re: Topband: Tuner ??? on 160

To: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuner ??? on 160
From: "Dave Sharred" <g3nkc@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:50:05 -0000
The problem with most commercial tuners is that the spacing of the capacitor
veins are too close. Especially on 160m, if your antenna is voltage fed (
i.e. approaching a half wave), then they will arc over if the spacing is
minimal.

I remember well buying my only commercial ATU many years ago (an MFJ one,
rated for 1.5KW); and returning it the next day for this reason.

I stayed with home made ones ever since; and use a capacitor with at least
1/8 inch spacing - hard to some by now. Vacuum variables are probably the
best way to go, as stated before.

I haven't tried one of the expensive Vectronics ATU's ; but I see that they
are rated for 4 or 5KW; but don't use air as the dielectric.

73

Dave
G3NKC