Re: Topband: Tuner ??? on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuner ??? on 160
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@k8nd.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:43:18 -0500
In March 1997, QST included a review of four high-power antenna tuners (MFJ
MFJ-989C;
Nye-Viking MB-V-A; Tucker T-3000; N4XM XMatch). The XMatch was clearly the
"best of breed"
of those tested, especially on the lowbands.

If you are an ARRL member, you can read the review at:
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr9703.pdf

I have had the XMatch "Classic Lowbander" model since 1997, and I have tuned
some truly
awful antennas to the satisfaction of my Alpha 91b at 1500W out. It's not
cheap, but it
does work well.

The other workhorse that I have used is the Dentron MT-2000 (I have four
currently). It
does OK on 160, but doesn't have the range or efficiency of the XMatch. I can
recall some
old ARRL 160 Contests where the MT-2000 enclosure was very warm to the touch
after a long
night of contesting, but the XMatch is always cool.

73,  Jeff  K8ND