Topband: Response to weird idea feedback

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Response to weird idea feedback
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:07:32 -0800
Wow - lots of thoughts about this - thanks.

One thing - I am not so much concerned about USA QRM and my ability to hear
the Europeans coming back to me.  The bigger issue I believe is that there
are a number of wide signals in eastern Europe that fill up the 1810-1850
frequency range - and this makes it very difficult to hear my signal anywhere
in this band segment in Europe.

In general - the signals in the USA are cleaner and it is more possible to
hear a weak European signal coming in between USA signals.

Yes - this would even be better if certain geogrpahic areas could only
CQ on certain parts of the band - but I don't believe anything like
that would ever be possible.

Working simplex above 1870 is a problem because many of the European
countries do not have those frequencies available to them.

Obviosuly - this strategy only works if there is some propagation - so we
will see.  But - I will consider trying it if it seems like it might be
productive.  Hopefully - as a result of this discussion - there might be
a few more Europeans that work Oregon as a result.

With respect to antenna tuning - that is solely my issue.  The people
calling me can continue to use their normal antenna.  I would also listen
to both my CQ frequency and QSX frequency.  I can do this using diversity
reception and listen with my European beverage on the QSX frequency.

Oh - and as far as causing some QRM to a European calling CQ - my response
is that "it's a contest - QRM happens" and secondly - if I can't hear that
European, then he isn't causing me any QRM.  True - the station I am working
might cause QRM - but it would only be for a short period of time.  This sort
 of thing happens all of the time on 40 meter SSB where I "lose" my CQ
frequency because some juicy DX who can't hear me started using it for his
QSX frequency.  There simply aren't any clear channels in these DX contests
- unless your call has an "8" in it and are in Africa (CN8, EA8, ZD8).

If I somehow managed to get a pileup of stations calling, then perhaps the
CQing station will have to QSY a little.  However, I doubt this would ever
really happen.

One final note - if I am working someone split - it is almost required that
they send my callsign at least once - so I have some confidence that they
are really calling me.  Without some kind of verification - it would be
really risky for me to put the QSO in my log.

73 Tree N6TR