Re: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas
From: "n4is" <n4is@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:24:38 -0500
Hi topband lovers.

Let's face the reality, what makes the band almost impossible to work DX on
160m international contests?

It is a large number of local stations calling CW for hours with only few
local QSO's. Seems to me that if you call CQ 100 times you can get 100
points, doesn't matter if you work someone or not.

Most of that station have no RX antennas and very limited to receive any DX.
HOWEVER they can make a lot of local QSO and increase they score.

Saying that, I see no motivation for them to get prepared for DX QSO's, the
difference of 2 to 5 points doesn't matter when you cannot work DX anyway.

My proposal is to reduce local QSO's to "zero" points on International
contests, and count only US Canada states as multiplies.

We have several local contests for local folks to work locals. Why mix an
international contest with local roles?

Using all the band is the best practice and highly recommended. Split is a
great idea if implemented by zones. My suggestion is, all QSO's are simplex
respecting the calling windows

1800 to 1820 - Only Non US or EU station calling window. QSO's are simplex.

1820 to 1860 - Only EU calling window

1860 to 1900 - Only US calling window

1900 to 2000 - no window.

There is no magic solution for a small band with lots of stations; however I
believe we can do a better job with some organization.

Regards

JCarlos

N4IS

Database version: 5.11560