Re: Topband: QSB surfing-other callsigns?

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSB surfing-other callsigns?
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 13:36:16 -0400
  On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:02:16 -0400, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:

  > K4VFZ and no matter how many times I send my call I get back "K4VFZ R

  Same problem here, except that in my case it's K8CC or K9CC, both of whom
  are active DXers and contesters. Altho W2YC is also quite active, the
  prefix is sufficiently different that we don't get confused (altho on
  more than occasion we've called a station at the same time or in
  sequence!).

  In my particular case, it's the dreaded contest software that's the
culprit !  I feel folks rely on it way too much...(imho)

  I don't do too much TopBand work these days, but in recent years VE9DX is
once again quite active on the bands, so
  folks in EU and Western USA (where my signal is weaker) are constantly
sending back to me:
  "VE9DX 5NN"
  Now, "AA" sounds nothing at all like "DX"....
  they type in "VE9", presumably the software finds only VE9DX and they are
mind-locked into Andys (ve9dx)
  callsign.  I have had more than several cases where I know I should have
been 449-559 @ the DX end of the path
  but the DX has this tendancy to rely on the software a bit too much and do
the "work" for them.  No amount of repeats (usually) cures the problem, so I
move on.
  Anyone else find that?

  Mike VE9AA