Re: Topband: noise floor

To: "'Pete Parisetti'" <hb9dsu@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: noise floor
From: "n4is" <n4is@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:12:01 -0400
>I would like to understand if my suburban location is
significantly more noisy than others or not. To do so, it is handy to have
the noise floor measured in dBm - something I can do with my SDR 5000a. The
value is around -82 dBm in conditions which I would call "bad" and around
-90 when "good", measured with the TX antenna (inverted L, 17m vertical/23
horizontal).

Pete

I'm measuring noise here for almost 3 years, and my good days are -88 dBm
and most common winter days are -81 dBm.

I'm using FSM program by VK1OD.

http://vk1od.net/software/fsm/

FSM (for Field Strength Meter) is a software application that extends a
conventional SSB receiver to allow measurement and calculation of field
strength of radio signals or interference. FSM is a software implementation
of the technique described by Ed Hare of the ARRL in "Manual Testing of
Field-Strength Levels Using Conventional Receivers" dated August 2004

Regards
JCarlos
N4IS