Re: Topband: noise floor

To: "'Pete Parisetti'" <hb9dsu@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: noise floor
From: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@arrl.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:35:06 -0500

Pete - one other thing I need to mention if you haven't noticed
already....The noise floor will be different with each of the three sampling
rates (48, 96, 192). This doesn't change the signal to noise ratio will
change the display. The lower the sampling rate the lower the noise floor.

Also, be aware that the Flex 5000 has a transmit spur approximately 2.4 KHz
down from the fundamental freq. If you are calling a station up 2 KHz or so
and are running an amplifier you will most definitely put out a signal,
thanks to the spur, that people can hear. Flex is very aware of this but
they have NOT, repeat NOT fixed this. One of their software gurus did write
a MANUAL software routine in PowerSDR to address this hardware issue and it
does reduce the spur significantly but the procedure is a manual procedure
and is only effective on one band at a time. If you change bands, you have
to run the manual routine again. It is cumbersome.

After being "busted" twice on two different bands because of this I no
longer run my Flex 5000 on HF for transmitting. It has a very good receiver
and the calibrated dBm scale is great to use for signal comparison and love
it for that, but just be aware of the xmit spur.

I can give you more specific details if desire.

73 Joel W5ZN