Re: Topband: Pennant Antenna

To: "RICHARD SOLOMON" <w1ksz@q.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Pennant Antenna
From: k8gg@voyager.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:19:02 -0500 (EST)

Richard and other Topbanders:

Richard, W1KSZ wrote:

> I put up a Pennant Antenna, facing NE and am comparing it to
the Loop
> Antenna I have up. So far, the jury is still out.
>
> But, one thing I noticed is that it is gangbusters on
80. Which leaves me
> ask:
>
> If
a 14' X 29' Pennant is so good on 80, what if I double the size ? To
> 28' X
> 58' ?? Would that work even better on 160 ?
> I don't have nor have I used EZNEC so I cannot go that route.
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> 73, Dick,
W1KSZ/7

I think you are on the right track if you do not
care about 80 meters.  I have modelled 20' x 40' pennants and they
model well on both 160 and 80.  I had two pairs of pennants 14' x 29'
at my last QTH and I concur that they were gangbusters on 80 and good on
160.  They were spaced broadside about 160 feet apart so the side
lobes would be minimized and not distort the front lobe on 75 or 80
meters.   If one only cares about 160 meters, then the spacing
could be as much as 330 feet / 100 meters broadside with a nice front lobe
in the direction of interest.

GL es 73
George  K8GG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK