Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:10:27 -0500
> As a courtesy, last weekend our Multi operation, as a courtesy,  refrained
>  from calling CQ in what some still consider the DX Window (1830 - 1835).
>
> BUT lets be realistic here, this is 2011, not 1961.  Split operation, a
>  necessary operating technique of the W1BB era is no longer necessary.
>  Frequency allocations between ITU regions and individual countries have
>  become more aligned.  All world class radios have narrow filtering
>  capability, etc. fully capable of handling the worst pileups.

Not all of us can afford or own "world class radios", John. It isn't true in

North America and it certainly isn't true in the rest of the world.
--

In defense of what John said, the biggest difference today is you will find
DX all over the band.

Thirty years ago with LORAN restrictions, clumping DX in a window made
sense. Rarely in a contest will you find a DX station working split. Yes
there are exceptions but it is rare. DX'ing is a different world.

The key is selectivity and it does not require a "world class radio" however
that is defined.

Good DX

Craig K1QX
Radioware