Re: Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant

To: <keith.g3oit@jillings.org.uk>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant
From: BRYON PAUL n0ah VEAL <bryonveal@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:22:32 -0700
I am a small pistol on 160M.  I have found it interesting to hear a few of the
big gun contest stations calling in the 1.830-35 DX range for a few years now.
Mostly either at EU sunrise of their's.  My understanding of the window is that
it is for DX, but what quantifies DX is from where one sits-  If you live in
EU, what makes a DL DX?  It seems this window is really defined by what USA ops
consider DX-  I only say this because I have operated top-band from VK9LZ,
3DA0AX and in France......and I have found myself listening for stateside
staions inside the DX window- Why, because for me, they were DX-

Working anyone in EU is icing on the cake for us- or a JA for that matter in
their DX window.  I'm approaching this from a contesting point of view and have
found that their is plenty of room to work DX even with some of the big guns
calling- I do know several very active top-banders here in Colorado that I
never hear calling inside the window- I try to follow their example- Since we
run low power, I don't feel badly for working a run frequency around 1.836.5 or
1.829.5.

80 meters has the same problem with the phone DX window- It is suppose to be
3.775-3.800 but there is a regular group(s) that seem the cherish nets at the
most annoying times and that window as we all know is really 3.790-3.800- We
give up 25KHz for 10KHz-

73

 Bryon "Paul" Veal  ARS-n0ah
n0ah@arrl.net

> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:03:01 +0000
> From: keith.g3oit@jillings.org.uk
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window No Long Relevant
>
> On 04/02/2011 00:23, Robert Smits wrote:
>
> > Not all of us can afford or own "world class radios", John. It isn't true in
> > North America and it certainly isn't true in the rest of the world.
>
> Thank you for that voice from the real world!
>
> I don't have the kind of cash it would take to buy a radio that can work
> DX a few hundred hertz from a high-power local station. I used to be
> able to work all kinds of DX on 160, but it's a lot harder these days.
>
> It's even harder when there are ten high-power stations calling over the
> top of the DX, but that's a different issue. That happens on HF, too.
>

> Keith
> G3OIT

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK