Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'

To: "Brendan Minish" <ei6iz.brendan@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Web SDR's and 'Cheating'
From: "G4GED Dave" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:47:21 -0000
Brendan EI6IZ Wrote >
> .....last night however I took a listen to what the connected user was
> listening to, It turns out that the connected user was a DX station
> utilising my SDR to work 160m SSB. He had a pileup of EU stations and
> was utilising my SDR to better hear his pileup.
> Surely this is 'not on' After all the EU stations may have been able to
> hear him (although I could not copy him better than about 21 here)
> But he was using a receiver within Europe to hear the EU stations calling.
>
> What is the ethical position on this, it sure seems wrong to me

The last time this subject was discussed on a Reflector, it was suggested
that if a long delay were inserted between the SDR's input and output, the
device would retain it's intended usefulness for "propagation checking" but
make it useless as a "QSO repeater" for the Cheaters!  Perhaps that should
become standard practice?

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK