Re: Topband: Chat Room Confirmation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chat Room Confirmation
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:33:11 -0600

>I would think reviewing recorded audio to be OK. I think that would be
> making use of a valid new technology, akin to the use of a new preamp or
> better antenna. IMHO, a valid contact is completed when the required
> info has been exchanged both directions *on the air*. If you had the
> right info in a recording, then you did receive it over the air so I
> personally don't consider that "cheating". . . . .

Joel's (W5ZN) initial post has stirred some thoughtful discussion on this
topic.  While my opinion may differ somewhat from Joel's, I certainly
respect his opinion and thoughts. . .he's a first class ham, an excellent
operator, and has made significant contributions to the amateur world.

We now have many new things and technologies which could be used to cheat
the system, remote SDR's certainly being one of the biggest offenders.
Ultimately, we have to rely upon people's good moral character and sense of
"right and wrong."  I'm probably the eternal optimist, but I still believe
most people fall into this category.  Unfortunately, there will always be
people trying to beat the system whether it's using remote SDRs, running 15
kw, remote operating position in a different continent, etc.  Ultimately, we
end up discovering who they are which brings their standings and
accomplishments into serious question.

While many different types of conversations take place in Lowband Chat, I
find most people there to be honorable, sincere, and serious about their
achievements on Topband.  Many have extensive systems which have required
huge physical efforts and many times significant monetary investments, not
to mention huge investments in time.  These folks are way beyond the
shack-on-belt (SOB. . hi hi) types so often associated these days with
amateur radio.  I'm very happy and honored to be a very small part of this
group and hope that we can continue to have the opportunity to share
information, disappointments, and triumphs with each other in Lowband Chat,
the To[band Reflector, and other similar forums.

In the meantime, my thanks to Joel and others for the thought provoking
comments.  I'd also like to recognize and thank Tree, N6TR, for his efforts
to continue and moderate this reflector which has been a godsend for many of
us.  My best to all.

73. . Dave, W0FLS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK