Re: Topband: Top band conditions suring ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Top band conditions suring ARRL 160
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:42:37 -0400
On 12/3/2011 11:09 PM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
> That's the one thing that irks me about ARRL 160. The reason there are not
> more stations outside of US participate is that this contest turns out to be
> an ARRL 160 Sweepstakes at least this is my opinion from the Westcoast.
> Stations turn on their CQ machines and make it very difficult to impossible
> to work anything outside the US from here. I don't participate anymore.
> IMHO N7RT

Harvey,

Another reason (for the lack of DX participation) is that the ARRL 160
meter DX contest is patently unfair to those of us who live in the U.S.
Territories and for the purpose of this contest are considered non-DX.
I have tried for a decade to get the ARRL CAC and HQ to realize the
dis-service this is to not allow us to compete with other DX stations.
Only a few have even bother to respond to me.  Lumping us together with
ARRL sections is discriminatory and prevents even a major effort from
even getting listed in the results which only show the top 10.  So the
second night I only worked Europeans in silent protest.  I did put K1LZ,
Krassy in the log  even after he left me out of his on TB at both ST0R
and 3D2R, two places I urgently needed. (I did work 4W6A,  T32C and
H40KJ on TB with ease). I am not vindictive but sometime people have to
take a stand for what they believe in.  The ARRL 160 meter affair for me
is a bummer and it is about time the CAC and HQ realizes that if they
want a large DX turnout (maybe they don't care). then they will begin in
revamping the rules so they do not discriminate against those in the
U.S. Territories.  There press release regarding this years event seem
to indicagte they had....but the posted rules were the same as before.
What confusion.  I will be on for the Stew Perry contest becasue it *is*
fair and even someone with 100 watts to a piece of wire can have fun,
and if you are QRP even more.

Herb, KV4FZ
St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK