Re: Topband: BAD OT:Phase noise *** RE: digital on 1838 +/-

To: "'Jeff Blaine'" <jeff@ac0c.com>, "'MIKE DURKIN'" <patriot121@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BAD OT:Phase noise *** RE: digital on 1838 +/-
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:01:19 -0600
Phase noise is generated by the rig's LO and exists as a more broad band low
level signal.  Issue is more significant with modern day DDS than with older
analog-type VFO sources.  Guys who operate field day can relate...

73/jeff/ac0c

Don't you mean IMD from the radio/amp driven past ALC?

CW is a binary signal and no one complains of its "phase noise" .....

Mike KC7NOA

I had a ham, who is now SK, that lived 3 miles from me. He had two Kenwood
TS-940s. The phase noise at my house was S9+20db when he was listening on 20
meters.
It was there whenever the 940 was turned on. It was from about 11mHz to
18mHz. He could not hear it, figure that out.
73 Price W0RI

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK