Re: Topband: Vertical vs yagi

To: Josep Torres <ea6bf@ea6bf.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical vs yagi
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:50:26 -0500
On 2012-02-14, at 1:32 PM, Josep Torres wrote:

> I would like to hear from people that have tried or compared a 2-3 element
> vertical array vs a 2 element yagi for 40m. I don't have a yagi, but I can
> maybe put a 2(3) element vertical array. At moment, I only have a 1/4wvl
> dipole at 14m high. I want to improve my setup for that band.

Hi Josep,

By far, the absolute BEST antenna that I've ever used on 40-meters was an
inverted 3-element Bobtail Array (dubbed "The Robert Tail Array" in an early
edition of the ARRL's "ANTENNA COMPENDIUM").

That thing would open the band up toward Europe for me a good-hour-plus before
the kilowatts in the North-East were alert to any DX...and it's so easy to feed
& erect, too. The bi-directional pattern was good for Europe as well as the
Pacific for me.

What relevance does this have to Topband...? Only this: I wish I had the
resources & wherewithal to raise one up for 1.8-MHz!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK