Re: Topband: RX Antenna advice

To: ct1ilt@sapo.pt
Subject: Re: Topband: RX Antenna advice
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:34:38 -0500
Beverage antenna running up the mountain to intended direction does not
inspire confidence for some number of reasons.  What kind of soil is
underneath it?

Pennant, K9AY, or an array of same, something that rejects back and side,
and hears high angle well would seem better suited. Maybe Waller Flag?

73, Guy.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM, <ct1ilt@sapo.pt> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> This past weekend I made a few CQs on 160m in the CQ 160 Contest and
> while talking to my friend Braco E77DX he told me that I was not
> hearing well, I had huge pile up coming from Europe but I could not
> hear a single soul calling. I tried all the antennas available (110m
> beverage to 10º, 130m beverage to 45º/225º not terminated) and even
> with the TX antennas (T Vertical and Dipole) I could not hear anyone,
> the maximum signal I got was with the W6 Beverage (170m).
>
> I conclude that somehow my RX antennas are not working properly
> towards Europe, could it be that the beverages to europe doesnt work
> well running up the mountain? West Beverage work very well but the
> terrain is either sloping to USA or flat.
>

> My question is weather should I give a try on another type of RX
> antenna just for Europe / ASIA? G3XGC Coaxial Loop ? pennant?
>
> Any advice would be welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Filipe Lopes CT1ILT aka CR6K

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK