Re: Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wellbrook receive loop performance
From: "Andy Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:52:26 +0100
Rag  LA5HE wrote on April 9,

"I put one up last autum and have compared it with my Titanex V160HD .
At this quiet location I had to realise that nothing was gained, which was
a disappointment !

73  Rag   LA5HE in Telemark"

Rag, the ALA1530 is not designed to compete with very large antennas like
the Titanex V160HD or with other loops with larger apertures.

Its primary purpose is to provide low noise reception in a high noise urban
environment. The ALA1530  has been providing this sort of service for the
past 15 Years. This done by cancelling out the local E -field and providing
high immunity to conducted power line noise.

Therefore, deploying the loop in a quiet location, the aforementioned
features will not be seen.

However, if one requires, say more gain or more importantly a higher s/n
with a Broadband loop, then a  larger loop aperture is required.

To this end Wellbrook provides a Medium aperture loop the ALA100M for simple
wire loops say 4 to 8m in circumference or the  new ALA100LN large aperture
loop for 20m circumference antennas.

73

Andrew Ikin

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK