Re: Topband: Laird ferrites

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Laird ferrites
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:24:00 -0700
On 6/30/2012 3:34 PM, ZR wrote:
> Evaluate against what? While Ive heard of Steward in the past I see nothing
> on Lairds site that gives me any information to base an evaluation on.

I've had samples and a catalog from Stewart for years, but there's not
nearly enough data there on which to base a judgment.  Like Carl and
Tom, I see no value in "much cheaper" for a product which there is only
skeleton data, and characterizing these parts takes a LOT of time.

Every Fair-Rite suppression part has a detailed data sheet with graphs
of impedance vs frequency, and most of them for 1-3 turns. Fair-Rite
publishes graphs of u' and u'' vs frequency for every material.  I see
nothing comparable in the Stewart book, nor in the Laird pdf referenced,
and it is those data that tell a designer what they are and how they
behave.

Jack Smith may have learned enough about the part's he using to find
them a good option, or he may be using them in a relatively undemanding
application, or in application where the skeleton data is enough.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK