Re: Topband: VK0M on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VK0M on 160m
From: Steve HA0DU <ha0du@dx.hu>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:43:45 +0200
Larry,

Only 86% of the respondents said they need P5 on Top Band, so some forgot to mark this and that... I know from W4ZV that North Americans worked VK0/M on 160 SSB quite frequently in the 80's (VK0GC), but I doubt anyone from Europe worked him.

As far as I know from our correspondence, Trevor VK0TH used a low dipole antenna on 80 meters, and even on a three element Yagi at 45 meters up he was very very weak.

VK0/M is 18,000 kilometers from Europe. If anyone wants to try 160 DX from there, an amplifier is a must. The modern solid state amps are lightweight so should not be a huge problem. I will be happy to lend my low-band FET amp (which has already been used from A35, FW, 6W) to the next Macca operator.

73 Steve HA0DU