Re: Topband: Airports

To: <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Airports
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:55:18 -0400
I have several private messages and some of them tell me that my 4000
foot distance from the side of that runway alone is enough to make it
irrelevant. I don't know about the official status of the airport but I
did find it in an online chart and I can see and measure the distance to
my house on that same chart. The airport is not owned by a private
individual and planes from out yonder land and take off from there daily
(for whatever that is worth). There are also higher objects including a
100 foot tree nearby. Unfortunately that tree is two lots over and no
way to get access.

The full text is at this link:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=f7780e4d527cd2a76a520fe6606ebc9d&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.2.9&idno=14#14:2.0.1.2.9.2.1.3

If the link fails, search FAA CFR Title 14 Part 77.9

At 4000 feet, if the airport qualifies exactly as they specify (not just on-line), and the longest runway is over 3200 feet, the slope is 50:1 4000/50 = 80 feet. Anything below 80 feet, or below trees or other obstructions, is not a concern.

If the runway is over 3200 feet, and if the airport is registered as they describe (not just on-line), the slope is 100:1. That's 40 feet, but again any existing obstructions around you shield your antenna.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK