Re: Topband: Small antenna book

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Small antenna book
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:51:16 -0400
Hi Carl,

Short version:   The problem was never the wire in the air.  Problem was
the counterpoise.   We'll see what Grant has to offer.

Long version:

I've ordered the book.

I'm sure that the OT's got on the band with quite a variety of setups.  I
was there when young and reckless, and saw some doozies.  We did some
really dangerous things back then.  Question is how efficient those were.
 We burned up stuff.

I don't think anyone ever solved counterpoise in small places for 160,
other than for high impedance feeds where the effective series resistance
of a minimalist "ground system" simply didn't matter.  ON4UN's 4 x 1/8 wave
elevated is the closest anyone came to "small"  that really works until
now.  My 80 meter end-fed half wave  against a couple of buried 40 foot
bare copper wires took advantage of a very high Z feed, and worked
extremely well.

Small lotters were always compromised on the shield side of the coax, even
if they got clever with the radiator.  There is a reason for the seven to
ten dB jump that some folks have experienced moving to an FCP.  Most of the
power was being dumped into the dirt, one way or another, by a seriously
compromised radial scheme.  Some of these changes involved no change to the
vertical radiator other than adding a few percent to something already
about 1/4 wave already to re-prune for resonance.  Yanked all the radials,
put up the FCP, kept the same wire upstairs, and bingo.  It wasn't the wire
in the air that was the problem, it was the "radials".

I'm one of those who got on 160 with a real signal because of an FCP.  I
don't have anywhere on my property I could place anything that would even
remotely meet the description of full size dense and uniform all around.
 My lot is long and skinny, with the driveway dividing the property going
out to the US 64 service road.

When I decided to get on 160 here, I asked around for some advice.  Advice
I got was to try two opposed 1/4 wave radials on the ground, with whatever
shorter radials I could add.  This was in the same time frame W3LPL was
installing two raised 1/4 w radials for each of the verticals in his new
four square.  Two opposed was the hot advice then.

I could get two pretty much opposed 1/4 wave radials on the ground near the
eastern N/S property line plus miscellaneous shorter ones and get a 1/4
wave L over it.  That clearly did not get out well.  With the amp in line,
when I asked a friend in New Mexico about my signal, he politely replied
"You're really not very loud."  Then later he called W4MYA "a beacon".  The
distinction was not lost on me.  He didn't tell it to me in dB, but I know
from his long acquaintance that the difference between his "not very loud"
and "beacon" is a collection of S units.

And it confirmed my general experience.  With those radials down, it took
an amp to compete with others running 100 watts, and I wasn't doing all
that well with the amp.  I could work some countries on 160, but only after
the pileup had died down.  I was obviously down in the fourth and fifth
tier in contests.  I WAS  having fun on 160, but wished to high heaven I
could have A SIGNAL.

I have earned the right to call two opposed 1/4 wave radials a sh*t
solution to counterpoise, nowhere near the performance of a commercial
radial field some of the fellows around here were using.

The issue now is to get solutions out there so that small lotters can play
in the same game with the big guys and make them sweat the results,
solutions good enough to hold a run frequency in a 160m contest running 100
watts.

73, Guy.