Re: Topband: Airports

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Airports
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:43:50 -0400
On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 13:07 -0400, Tom W8JI wrote:

> Keep in mind there is no distance restriction for private fields. Item 1 is
> particularly important. There are several small fields around me, none of
> which have FAA registration as a public field.
>
> Only the following are restricted:
>
> (1) A public use airport listed in the Airport/Facility Directory, Alaska
> Supplement, or Pacific Chart Supplement of the U.S. Government Flight
> Information Publications;
>
> (2) A military airport under construction, or an airport under construction
> that will be available for public use;
>
> (3) An airport operated by a Federal agency or the DOD.
>
> (4) An airport or heliport with at least one FAA-approved instrument
> approach procedure.
>

> 73 Tom

Hi Tom,

I have several private messages and some of them tell me that my 4000
foot distance from the side of that runway alone is enough to make it
irrelevant. I don't know about the official status of the airport but I
did find it in an online chart and I can see and measure the distance to
my house on that same chart. The airport is not owned by a private
individual and planes from out yonder land and take off from there daily
(for whatever that is worth). There are also higher objects including a
100 foot tree nearby. Unfortunately that tree is two lots over and no
way to get access. The other local airport is bigger and can handle
twins but is several miles away across the lake - completely irrelevant.

It is evolving that I might put up a metal pole with an 80 meter trap at
the top and add the 160 parts above that. I will use other, smaller
antennas for 40 meters and down. Thanks to everybody for the helpful
comments on and off list.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK