Re: Topband: TB digital

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TB digital
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:33:03 -0400
I'm not surprised some of us don't know the band or history of use, or have not read IARU bandplans. What I wish we could do, is be a little nicer to each other as we learn things from each other.

When we originally had the band in the 1950's and 60's and it was opening from LORAN use, 1825-30 was just above the USA east coast segment. USA stations could TX only on 1800-1825 on the east coast, and 1975-2000 on the west coast.

1825-30 became the DX Window because it was just out of the band, and most European DX could transmit there.

As LORAN was turned off the USA was allowed more 25 kHz segments, each with a different power rating that varied with day and night. 25-30 remained the DX window.

Sometime after the band was mostly restored for everyone, the DX window was moved higher. The IARU and everyone else for years has defined the area above 1830 to 1850 as the "DX" area of the band.

See this link:

http://www.iaru-r2.org/documents/explorer/files/Plan%20de%20bandas%20%7C%20Band-plan/R2%20LF-MF-HF%20Bandplan%202010.pdf

1800-1810 is listed as digital modes, and has been for years.

1830 to 1840 is now, and has been for years, listed as priority for Intercontinental CW operation.

1840-1850 is listed as priority for Intercontinental SSB operation, and has been for many years.

What puzzles me is with an IARU bandplan, why digital modes decided to carve out a spot in the middle of the Region II IARU DX CW and SSB area for local common digital work, and why strong proponents of frequency use have not done their homework and read IARU plans.

Now I'm not saying we should not change the IARU plan, if everyone as a majority wants to change it or ignore it, I'm fine with that. The fact remains we need some sort of plan everyone agrees with and everyone can follow in normal daily activity, because the ARRL never really cared if the FCC regulated the band or not.

Now the ARRL is going to disagree with what I just said, but I was there for years and at one time (I still may) I had a letter from FCC Chairman Prose Walker (W4BW) stating if the ARRL simply asked for 160 to be restored with CW and SSB segments, it would be done. The ARRL was interested in two meters at that time, and had been burned by incentive licensing, and stated they were afraid to "take anything away" from anyone else.

I know this all for a fact because W1BB, W2EQS Charlie, and a few more were exchanging letters with Prose and others, and at that time there was overwhelming written support for full band restoration SSB and CW segments. The ARRL in recent years told me Prose only said that to appease people, but knowing Prose more than casually (I worked on some personal amplifier stuff directly with him) he was neither a sissy afraid to say something to someone, nor was he a liar who would say something untrue.

So without an FCC rule, the only thing we have is the IARU to keep some reasonable order on the band.

The real question we have is should the IARU plan be changed again, and should digital mode operators continue to violate the bandplan on a regular basis until the plan changes, or should we just let every group decide what chunk of band they want and carve it out by takeover?

My opinion is we need some sort of governing committee who we all actually listen to, like it or not, or we will have more problems than we need to have.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK