Re: Topband: TB digital

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TB digital
From: "N4IS" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:57:18 -0400

Digital modes are the future. It will give those hams who have limited real
estate and monetary resources to enjoy the topband.
<<
Mike

Digital modes are not new and there are several ways to enjoy top band, even
do DX from a 1/3 acre with limited monetary resources. Doug NX4D is a  good
example, he just confirmed  #277 on top band and 40 zones from a 1/3 lot
with power lines 20 Ft. from his RX antenna, However it is not an easy way.

Doug gave up all HF antennas to keep only one vertical that he was able to
detune.
He built an expensive dual flag rotatable array that only worked after Doug
eliminated all common mode noise and got a good preamplifier.

It I hard work to keep a station for 160m. W8VVG, Larry also enjoy his 160m
station with a rotatable flag.

WSJT was not designed to be used on HF, the sequence is very low, takes 1
min to send 73. It is boring. The reason people is using it is because it is
easy. It is not about the value to enjoy a CW QSO on top band, and more
about cost and dedication to improve the station to effective on top band.

In my opinion , same  I said years ago the digital segment should be above
1900 KHz, lots of space, small antennas and even better propagation.

Regards

N4IS
Jose Carlos

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK