Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world
From: "N4IS" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:40:27 -0400
On 9/20/2012 2:55 PM, wa3mej@comcast.net wrote:
> Does anyone have any real world experience with these dipoles?

Yes we do, just remember the signal  George AA7JV from Mellish reef, Willis
or Chesterfield. BUT the antenna near the water in the beach does not work
so well, the antenna must be in the water as you can see on the pictures.
That brings an issue with tide, George built an auto antenna tuner for that
reason. There is almost 10 db in gain from 100 FT near the water to an
antenna inside the salt water.

http://vk9gmw.com/gallery.html

http://www.tx3a.com/

Recently we had several good DX-expeditions with great signal on 160m with
antennas radials toughing the sea water, whoever the gain is valid for all
HF bands. The last George invention will be in QST very soon and he will use
it on the upcoming DX-expedition to PT0S, It is a vertical elements with
horizontal counterpoise elements for 10 -15 and 20m to stand near/over  sea
water 8ft high. George was able to break NH8S pile-up from  South Florida
with low power using it, first call!!..

Regards
Jose Carlos
N4IS